From Beano to Bingo
Bingo is a game where numbers are drawn randomly and players match those selected numbers with their own set of numbers printed or electronically represented in "cards". A specified pattern is to be followed to determine the winner. The one who wins shouts " Bingo!" to alert others with the win.
Bingo's origins can be traced back to a game played in Italy in the 1500s, Lotto. The name Bingo is believed to be a mutation of the name Beano, an old form of Bingo played in the United States in the 1920s. History says that beans were used then to cover the numbers. Bingo ended up getting its name when a winner shouted "bingo" instead of "beano" in excitement. Apparently, they liked the sound of it.
Bingo now is played in many countries being a legal past time and even a social or government initiative to raise money in some parts of the world. Online bingos also flourish as blogs do. Although a few are believed to be as legitimate as to winning, many people still log online to get a chance to "practice" that disyllabic squeal.
Here are the steps to play the game:
1. Take a bingo card from the host or anyone designated to distribute the cards.
2. Cover the "Free" space at the middle of your card with a marker.
3. Listen carefully to the host as he calls for a letter-number combination, like B-4.
4. Search the B column of your card and look to see if you have a number 4 in that column.
5. The host goes on with all possible combinations until the B-I-N-G-O with its paired numbers are achieved in a specified pattern, either horizontally, diagonally, or vertically and in straight line.
6. Yell "Bingo!" to let others know that you won.
7. Have your combinations verified by the host and claim your prize.
Bingo is a terribly easy game with no tactical or special skills required. Although knowing some tips in playing the game is advantageous too despite of the this stark level of simplicity. Some variations like "Blackout Bingo" (all numbers on the card are marked out) are announced before the game starts. So better listen carefully.
Usually, this variation is done when a series of games could not produce a winner. Another thing to consider is that having more than one card to play gives you a higher probability to get that elusive pattern and win the prize. So be sure to have some extra bucks in your pocket!